8.12.07

Greek to me



alpha beta gamma delta epsilon zeta eta theta iota kappa lamda mu nu xi omicron pi rho sigma tau upsilon phi chi psi omega

I'm trying to learn Greek. Not modern Greek. Greek of antiquity. I'm trying to gain an understanding of it so that I can ultimately read the New Testament in its original language. We'll see.

So far it's pretty tough, but I can effectively read it out loud, albeit in a rudimentary way (I have yet to learn all the accents and vowel combinations). I can recognize some words too like adelphous (brothers, as in phil-adelphia).

I've made some neat discoveries too. The tribe of Judah in Israel is the same word as Judas. I wonder why they decided to write it as Judah? And the first word of the New Testament is Biblos.

2 comments:

Sirdar said...

I've always heard that the translation of the original texts of the bible have been...shall we say...written with all good intentions...but not always accurately. Hope you manage to do that goal of reading the original texts and compare it to the new texts.

Dawn said...

Wow a very steep goal. Way to go. I admire your willingness to spend the time in study. After what you do during the day, I would be wanting to crawl in a hole or at least a warm bed.