17.8.08

Zaak like Barack


Photo: AFP/Getty Images

Late last night I ended up watching the interview that Rick Warren hosted with Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama (watch it here). I was deeply impressed. When I was in Guatemala I didn't have much of an opportunity to see video of Obama and I was limited to distilled sound bytes in news articles. After hearing this guy give frank and heartfelt answers to questions on leadership, morality, America and government, I'm sold. The man has principles! I didn't watch the interview with McCain for two reasons, it was 2 AM and I'm sure I would have disagreed with him (especially on the war issue).

What was most striking to me is that nothing he said caused me to disagree with him - which leads me to think I must have thought out these issues as much as him - which leads me to think that perhaps I should get into politics.

I really think the tempest of fear that is creeping up against him because his father was a Muslim and his mother an Atheist is ridiculous. For one, the fearful are Christians who believe in the transforming power of Jesus blood - unless of course your parents weren't Christian... Hmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I didn't watch the interview with McCain for two reasons, it was 2 AM and I'm sure I would have disagreed with him"

Hmmm, sounds to me like you've already made up your mind, judging a book by it's (Republican) cover perhaps? McCain is one of the freshest voices from the Republican side in decades and well worth spending a bit of time understanding. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says either, but seeing as several million Americans will vote for him, think it well worth my time to listen a bit. A very very smart man.

By the way, I highly suggest Jim Wallis' book "The Great Awakening: Reviving Faith and Politics in a Post-Religious Right America" (and his older "God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It"). I think it's sad that us "progressives" (whatever that means) automatically get lumped in with the left/Democrats, and people of strong faith get lumped into the right/Republican/neocons bin. A false division and one well worth abolishing.

Zaak said...

Thanks for the comment Kevin (mystery Kevin I should say - are you Montreal or Spruce Grove?).

I'm sure I would have disagreed with McCain because I've heard him speak a fair bit, especially regarding the war and taxation. I'd heard of Wallis's God's Politics book and I've been meaning for quite some time to read it - sadly, I haven't the time!! Very sad indeed.

I am hopeful though that the religious right lays down its 1, 2, or 3 "moral" issues in favour of a looking at economic, military, and international affairs - which to me are more of a moral concern.

Incidentally, I like McCain far more than I like Bush. (on a scale of 1 to 10, McCain gets 1.2 and Bush gets 0.03)