4.1.09

Driving in on Queen Elizabeth II

I've driven Hwy 2 (Queen Elizabeth II highway between Edmonton & Calgary) dozens upon dozens of times. I drove it this afternoon after visiting my sister, bro-in-law, and niece. 

Today, our sunroof decided to start acting up and spontaneously opened about 10 times between Red Deer and Airdrie. Funny car. Ha ha. ha. 

Then, as we approached Airdrie, a shovel flew out of a small trailer behind a pickup truck. The shovel landed with some sparks ahead of us and bounced onto the shoulder on the left as I braked with plenty of room. Just a little bit further ahead and it would have sailed into our windshield.

Usually, the drive is uneventful and drab, especially in the winter. But...

In 5 days, it will be 9 years since I crashed my first car on this same highway. I was picking up a friend at the airport just before university classes reconvened at CUC. My car, which had summer tires on..., sailed off the second Leduc overpass heading north, across the median into oncoming traffic which were 2 tractor trailers. The first one flew by as I spun. Then my trunk connected with the second trailer's fuel tank. This sent me spinning counter clockwise and we (my friend Kris and I) finally halted in the middle of southbound Hwy 2. I put the car into reverse and backed on the the shoulder. My trunk was shaved right off and the cops were on scene within minutes, as were some other friends who were returning from the airport. 


My car was totaled. My insurance went up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember all that vividly....and am still very grateful that you and Chris were spared to bring so much joy to all of our lives and to be a husband to Amber and a father to Blaise and Acadai...life its so great. I just finished watching the travels of 2007 and 08and had alot of laughs and good memories. Glad you all had a good time in Edmonton with Hockey Glad you are close. Love you all

Anonymous said...

I guess we are lucky that you are still with us. When stuff like that happens, the results aren't usually that nice.

I see you have a penchant for German cars. Me too....except I can't afford them yet....

Zaak said...

These German cars just sort of fall in my lap. I can't afford them either, I just buy them old.