21.8.10

Canmore Folk Music Festival


My mom has been raving about the Canmore Folk Music Festival for a years now and we were finally in province for it this year. I'm glad we were!


The great blues musician Matt Anderson (from NB) played a couple workshops and we were excited to see him. We saw him last at the Vinyl Cafe concert at Christmas. This guy has the voice.


A couple big highlights for me were a traditional Québecois band called Le Vent du Nord. They were reminiscent of La Bottine Souriante who I have been listening to for years. Part of their ensemble is a hurdygurdy player which adds a sweet tone. Also there was Ali Farka Touré's son - Vieux Farka Touré of Mali. Again, I've been a fan of Malian guitarists for quite some time (especially Vieux's father Ali and Habib Koité). Both gave great sets! Too short really.


Some other notables were Dala, Four Men & A Dog, Ruthie Foster, Geoff Muldaur & Amos Garrett (pictured below), and the legendary Buffy Sainte-Marie (above).





We lunched at the Grizzly Paw Brew Pub where I sampled their 8 lovely brews.



My family got covered in CKUA tattoos. I thought about it, but my belly is pretty hairy.

It started to rain a bit later in the evening, but most people just put up their hoods and stayed.

Next year I'll be making an effort to get the whole weekend in.

No comments: